New Media Is My Niche

Erin Battaglia typing at laptop

By Erin Battaglia

Author. Maker. Creator. Innovator. There are a million ways to describe the New Media department at Molloy, and the students in the program, but I think those four words tell the story perfectly. Hi, I’m Erin, a sophomore New Media major here at Molloy. I feel like I should give you a little bit of a backstory before I start going on about the New Media program, so stay with me. I have a pretty creative family: my dad is a graphic designer, my sister is an incredible artist, and my mom is more of the brains (don’t tell her I said this, but she lacks the creative genes).

I never really knew where my creativity was rooted, but it would peak out every once in awhile. But when I got into high school, I realized that I loved to write. I had always been an avid reader, but never really gave writing a fair shot. Once I did, I thought I had finally found my creative output — that was until I reached my first year of college. When I came to Molloy, I was an English major. I wanted to pursue a career in writing, whether that ended up being an editor for some big company, or a journalist, I didn’t know nor really care. It wasn’t until about a month into college when I started looking into the New Media program. I had always had a love for YouTube, but never thought that I could end up studying it. When I looked into the New Media program, I saw those four words: Author, Maker, Creator, Innovator. I was intrigued, and wanted to know more. I read up on what the program was like, and then two days later, I redeclared my major. I had never felt more confident in a choice in my life. Dramatic, I know, but it’s true.

Erin Battaglia on phone and laptop outside

I took my first New Media classes the next semester, and I knew it was a perfect fit. There is a quote on the wall of the lab that says, “New Media attracts innovators, iconoclasts, and risk takers.” The new and ever-changing program creates an active environment that is always interesting. New Media courses challenge you intellectually and creatively. You learn more about your online presence, how to make content you’re proud of, how memes are important, and so much more. Jamie Cohen and Matt Applegate are two extremely knowledgeable professors who offer more and more every time you walk into class. They are passionate about media literacy and the way the internet operates. They encourage your creativity and artistry, and want you to find your niche. Once you do, they guide you on how to create your voice via media. Since becoming a New Media major, I have found that I love editing and photography. I love taking photos and videos of places I have been and things that make me happy, and I love to edit them in a way that shows who I am. Portraying yourself through your work, whether that be photos, paintings, or blog posts, is something everyone should aspire to do. And I can say that I am able to do this and have found my voice through this program.

I could go on about new media all day, and in a lot of cases I have done so. I am passionate about new media, and I always will be. Growing up, my dad always said to get a job that doesn’t feel like you’re going to work. I always brushed him off, because no matter what I do, or how much I love it, work is work. Well — spoiler alert — he was right. I found what doesn’t feel like work to me, and I can’t wait to make it my career.