From College Student to TV Industry Professional: How I Made It to Hollywood

By Ronnie Amato (’17)

In 2013 I started my journey at Molloy College as an undeclared freshman not quite sure what I wanted to do with my life. Four years later, I am a college graduate living in California and starting my career in television. I couldn’t have done it without Molloy.

Over the last four years, the professors and faculty at Molloy have gone above and beyond for me. Not only did they help me find my passion, but they also challenged me and allowed me to develop and perfect my craft.

During my senior year, I was inspired by my professors James Cohen and Thomas Kenny to apply for an Emmy internship with the Television Academy of Arts & Sciences. Both Jamie and Tom are members of the Academy, and they recognized I had what it takes to get the internship. Out of the 1,500 people that applied, I was one of only 50 to be accepted into the program. I was selected to work at Bunim/Murray Productions in Glendale, California. Bunim/Murray Productions is credited with creating the reality TV genre and is known for Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Real World, Project Runway, and The Challenge. This year alone, Bunim/Murray Productions is up for 12 Emmy nominations.

For eight weeks, I was exposed to all areas of post-production: digitizing, assistant editing, shadowing editors, offline editing, online editing, audio, and music. At the end of my internship, I was hired as a digitizer at Bunim/Murray. I am responsible for the ingest of media for all of their shows. I will also be training to take my AE test so I can become an assistant editor.

I am so excited to start my career, and I know none of this would have been possible without Molloy. The Communications and New Media departments have done a phenomenal job of making sure I was not just a number in a classroom. They provided me with so many great mentors and alumni inside and outside of the classroom who have years of experience in the industry. I had classes as early as freshmen and sophomore year where I was exposed to the same equipment and software used by professionals. These hands-on experiences gave me a competitive edge when looking for internships and jobs.

I always tell people I didn’t choose Molloy; Molloy chose me. I wasn’t the same person four years ago that I am today. The College helped me build the foundation of knowledge and experience I needed to start my career. Molloy made me realize anything is possible as long as you put in the hard work.

Images courtesy of Ronnie Amato.

2 thoughts on “From College Student to TV Industry Professional: How I Made It to Hollywood”

1. Ronnie, your words and sharing your journey will be music to some other young person’s ears who are at the end of one road and not sure which road to take next to achieve their dream. Keep sharing become that light at the end of the tunnel!!