9/11 Molloy Community Blog

This blog has been created as an opportunity for the Molloy Community to share their memories of 9/11.  Although this was an incredibly difficult and painful time for us all, we have learned that the human spirit is strong and resilient.

Please know that the maximum word count is 250 words, and there may be some minor editing (for grammar, length, etc.) prior to posting. All posts and comments will be reviewed prior to publication.  Thank you in advance for sharing your special memories with all of us.

This entry was posted in 9/11 Memories. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to 9/11 Molloy Community Blog

  1. Dawn Egan says:

    I remember….
    By Dawn Egan

    I remember the heavy feeling in my heart,
    a pain that has never gone away.

    I remember picking my kids up from school that day.
    So innocent as to the world’s events, but now somehow…
    Things are different.

    They will forever live in a world where fear is present.
    How could things ever be the same…they aren’t.

    I remember the silence. No planes flying overhead.
    No laughter of children in the streets.

    We all felt numb. We hugged our loved ones tighter,
    and prayed.

    As the pictures became more graphic, we mourned.
    We made plates of food for neighbors still searching…still hoping,
    and sandwiches for those brave souls who had to endure the unthinkable.

    I remember trying to make sense of this world. How could there be so much evil,
    so much hatred. So many families, spouses, relatives, friends…now broken apart.

    There is a hole in our hearts that rivals the magnitude of that day.

    I remember…and I will not forget.

  2. Robert Paterson says:

    September 11, 2001. Remembrances

    I was walking into the President’s office for a regular Tuesday 9AM Cabinet meeting at Salem State College. It was a clear day and the weather beautiful for early September in Salem, Massachusetts. The Cabinet was comprised of the vice presidents, deans, HR and diversity directors; about 15 individuals all told. As one of the vice president came into the room he said “did you hear? a plane just hit the World Trade Center in NY?” No one had heard. We were stunned.

    We had recently installed a “plasma” TV on the wall of the president’s office, we turned it on in time to see the second plane hit….We looked at each other and someone said “the world has changed forever….”

    We heard shortly afterward that the planes that were crashed into the World Trade Center originated in Boston….While I am sure the impact on Molloy and the local LI community was much greater, the impact on Boston and its local environs was significant. I had staff that lost relatives in the attack. And the feelings of guilt, that the planes had come from Boston, was real.

    Each year since, on September 11 at 8:46 Salem State holds a prayer vigil, lowers the campus American Flag, sometimes someone talks and Taps are played. While I haven’t been at that college for several years now, I will never forget that beautiful, clear, blue morning and its associated tragedy.

  3. Susan Salvo says:

    No one can forget the day,

    Beautiful weather, magnificent skies, sun bright and shining

    Air fresh and clean.

    No one can forget the human suffering and pain,

    Death, fear and sorrow followed us all.

    We all will remember and never forget, we all came together

    To assist one another in this great time of need.

    Thank you to everyone for whatever you did

    Keep within us , the feeling of love.

  4. Natalie Hammerman says:

    On 9/11 between classes, a colleague told me that the twin towers were gone.

    “What do you mean–the twin towers are gone?”

    He explained that they had collapsed when planes flew into them.

    “But they are supposed to be able to withstand such an attack.” At that point we did not know that it was the burning fuel that caused the collapse as opposed to the impact.

    When classes were over, I sat in the media lab for quite a while, watching the impossible over and over again. I just couldn’t believe what I saw.

    I had a friend who worked down there. I reached her that evening to learn she was late to work because she had a dentist’s appointment. She was running to work when a colleague of hers saw her and turned her around. She hoped that she had backed up her data at a distant site before she left work the previous evening. She came home to Queens via bus and was stunned when uniformed guards burst onto the bus with what she described as uzis.

    My biggest sigh of relief came when I learned that a childhood friend of my son’s, who worked down there, had not gone into work that day.

  5. Charles Marquardt says:

    My job was located 1/2 mile north of Ground Zero on 9/11. I was in the city that morning,and saw too much . …

    It is important for everyone to understand that life is precious, and should be lived positively, and with no worry.
    Always make a negative into a positive. All of us have that choice every day

    Don’t be hesitant to love ,and care. Leave your mark in this world, and not necessarily with dollars saved.

    Entrust leaders, who are committed to protecting us, our freedoms, because this country is the best in the world.

    Each generation has events, which shape our futures. Be ready to take the right path,when your time comes.

    I honor my many friends, and cousin Richie Allen, who perished on 9/11 with my life today.

    Always respect your civil servants; Some gave all; All gave some.!!!

    Carpe Diem. Jesus is always a friend. Never stop learning about life.

  6. Donna Banek says:

    Watching the billowing smoke from my 3rd floor classroom window, I couldn’t wait for the bell to ring. The children had no idea that there was an emergency.

    Running to the main office, I was stopped by a hysterical colleague who couldn’t contain the news. The towers had been hit. Not to create a scene, we went into the library where a TV was set up. Shock, horror and fear filled my heart. Tears filled my eyes, and a silent prayer went to heaven.

    My friend is an MTA police officer. My cousin is one of the flight Captains for American flight number 1 out of Boston. The bell rings and I return to class.

    My inner voice directs me to love the children, teach on, teach on, and I shut the shades so no one can see. The day goes on, as normally as possible, until the end. Some teachers are relieved from class, and surreal actions take place like coming attractions of a movie. We move to the auditorium en masse to wait. The children know nothing other than we must wait. Waiting, the children chatter and we check identification as they leave school early with their guardians. At 6pm, 4 children remain, unclaimed.

    I have a 30-mile drive eastward to my home. My husband meets me on the lawn and I fall sobbing into his arms. We watch the newscasts over and over again unable to eat or drink.

    The next day I return to work. I pass every train station with the cars for which no one has returned. This is the memory that remains.

  7. Lorraine Jackson says:

    It was to be my first time as a juror and I arrived at the Courthouse in Mineola early on September 11, 2001. All the jurors were seated on the second floor overlooking the long walkway leading to the entrance, including one man with a small transistor radio. We were all engrossed in our thoughts, newspapers, and books when the man with the radio stated that a plane had crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center, where he worked for Port Authority. I remember hoping it wasn’t another terrorist attack like back in 1993. Apparently others thought the same thing as we each flashed looks at one another. No sooner we settled back into whatever we were doing when the man with the radio said there had been another hit.

    I knew. I think we all knew by the time the cell phones started ringing that this was a deliberate attack on our country, our freedom, our futures. I wanted to get out of that building – a government building – but stood looking out the huge plate glass window. I watched a very large man in a dark suit carrying a briefcase drop to his knees crying into his cell phone. Others were hugging, running, yelling. Others, not knowing, looked bewilderingly at those who already knew.

    We were sent home and asked to come back the next day. On Wednesday most of us were back at the courthouse but the case was postponed. The judge asked if any of us was directly affected. The man with the radio stood up to tell us that he had lost all his buddies from Port Authority and how he was spared because he was chosen for jury duty. I don’t remember that man’s face or his name, but sometimes I pray for him.

  8. Michell Synnott says:

    It was a beautiful clear, crisp September morning. At the time I was working at a law firm in Mineola. Since my work hours were 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. I was driving to work when I heard the news announced on the radio that the first tower had been hit – then the second. I arrived at work to find out that no one had yet heard the news…. I was the one to convey the news to everyone. All of the attorneys and staff then gathered around the two t.v.’s we had set up in the conference rooms for trials and deposition preparation to watch the video footage of smoke billowing from the two towers. There was total silence as we watched each of the towers collapse. After we watched, we were released from work early, not knowing if more was to come or if we would be reporting to work again the following day. As I drove home, I will never forget wondering if I might have said my final goodbyes that day to my co-workers. As I drove closer to home, there were army trucks and FYI agents everywhere blocking off various streets and redirecting traffic. I immediately called all of my family and friends who I knew worked in Manhattan. One of my very best friends was supposed to be there that day for a meeting, but at the last minute, decided not to go. Since I was released from work early that morning, I spent the rest of the day at the bike path along the Wantagh Parkway nears Jones Beach. I rode my bike to a point along the parkway to the center of one of the bridges where there were cars parked for miles. We all stood together – strangers, yet united by this tragic event. We all took photos from where we were standing. Visibly we could see the New York City skyline from this distance and watched as a never ending stream of smoke followed past the skyline which now was missing the two towers. It was an eerie feeling. I remember praying and thanking God for sparing me, but also praying for those that were not so lucky. I remember distinctly that you could smell the smoke from the burning towers since it was only about 25 miles directly across from where I was standing. It was months later before my cousin, George could even talk about what he witnessed. He, too, was one of the lucky ones who was spared that day but who had walked across the Brooklyn Bridge that day to escape the peril……

  9. Thomas Catania says:

    After a soulless drive in–the sight of the plume of smoke staining a cloudless blue still ineradicable–I taught a 10:40 class. Our text, as luck and God would have it–was “The Dream of the Rood,” an early medieval English poem about the crucifixion from the cross’s perspective, wherein it describes its role as at once murderer and victim. The crucifixion subsumed the sober sorrow of the morning, and the poem rendered more painfully complex what was taking place only a few miles away. The event, the poem and the cross remain twined in my mind to this day.

  10. Peg Whelan says:

    Watching the smoldering remains of the Twin Towers across Reynolds Channel from our backyard in Long Beach, we were in a state of disbelief. How could this have happened?

    My husband, Pat, and his carpool had survived the 1993 attack on the WTC, but the vehicle they drove to NYC that morning did not – blown to bits in the WTC garage, seven floors below them.

    On September 11, 2001, fleeing downtown Manhattan, Pat glanced over his shoulder to see the horrific sight of people jumping, two by two, to certain death. Unbeknownst to him, his brother, Jim, had attended a Port Authority seminar on the 71st floor of the North Tower, and was slowly making his way down the stairs after the planes hit. Amazingly, the two of them met up later in their old neighborhood tavern outside of Stuyvesant Town on E. 19th St., then returned together by LIRR to Long Island, covered in soot, and grateful to be alive. Only then did they learn that earlier that day, Jim’s mother-in-law, Dorothy, had given up her grip on life, and died unexpectedly after suffering with Alzheimer’s Disease for more than a decade. Our family holds the belief that Dorothy left this earth so that Jim could stay.

  11. Debbie Kantor says:

    I was teaching in NYC that day. We were dismissed and told to go home. I remember walking over the Queens Borough Bridge with two colleagues and constantly looking over my right shoulder and seeing the flumes of smoke. My eyes understood what I was seeing but my heart was in disbelief.

    As we were walking on Queens Boulevard, we met a man from the NY Port Authority. He was covered from head to toe in fine white soot. He mentioned that after the first plane attacked, he immediately left the North Tower. As he was going down the stairs (40 flights), the firemen were walking up. He kept saying over and over “They are all gone.” We learned early what a price the NY Fire Department would pay for their dedication to public service.

    I also remember the kindness of the business owners on the Boulevard-who handed out water and food to the thousands of walkers like ourselves as we passed by. From a human tragedy, there was also human kindness from strangers.

    My son was five at the time, and I realized that this was the event that would shape his generation as JFK’s assassination did mine. I hope that the memory of what can happen when we let our guard down stays with our country’s consciousness and that we do not become complacent.

  12. dfornieri says:

    It was a crisp, clear September morning. I remember getting out of my car and being greeted by S. Mary Pat Neylon who said, “Did you hear a plane crashed into the World Trade Center?” The rest of the day is a day that remains in the personal history of many Americans, myself included.

    My story involves a dear friend who, when asked to play golf on that beautiful morning replied, “I’m sorry but I can’t.” I know he was one of the leaders in the struggle to get to freedom or die with dignity and prayer. I know he was one of the people who declined to go without a fight. I know he looked fear in the face and was a hero to all who followed him that fateful day.

    I have another friend, who also had the kindest and gentlest of hearts, who led his fellow firefighters to safety while he climbed back up to save others. He, too, led a life of prayer.

    I have another friend, who in the second tower, witnessed the debris whirl around the corner of his office and immediately knew, “I need to get out of here” and lived to tell about it. Another person who leads a life of prayer.

    I have another friend who witnessed the carnage from ground zero and prayed.

    I have another friend and another. I have prayed with their families and have watched their families grow from this tragedy. They have forever been affected but are also our heroes as they continue to live their lives with more strength and purpose than that of any I have ever known.

  13. Teresa Aprigliano says:

    The unimaginable happened on September 11, 2001. Grand symbols of American freedom, financial independence, and American defense were targets of attack.
    The losses are staggering, the hurt monumental, and the long-term effects unknowable. Yet, in the moments, days and weeks after our loss of innocence, one shining and ever present characteristic discloses itself…COURAGE.

    Over those days and weeks the word courage had been used to describe many people. The firefighters, police officers, port authority officers, EMS workers, doctors, nurses, and last but not least the civilian workers. Everyone from porter, salesperson, waiter/waitress, stockbroker, to the airline pilots, and passengers displayed uncompromising courage. The idea of courage is based on what you believe and who you are. Just think of the people who stayed behind to help a co-worker, or the firefighter, or police officer who ran into the Center or Pentagon, or to the passengers aboard United Airlines Flight 93 …their courage was a display of who they were…for these people there was no alternative.

    For the courageous people of September 11, 2001…their actions were known to them, albeit, perhaps not consciously. When the time came, which option to choose was easy for them they were doing what was “natural” for them.

    What we have witnessed, on sadly, such a grand scale is Courage in the truest and purest sense. At no other time in our Nation’s history have so many people acted with so much courage at the same time. What a positive energy force we witnessed. How fortunate we are that these people were able to act in spite of their world collapsing around them.

    For us, who remain, the long journey back may require that meaning be found in the seemingly meaninglessness of actions and consequences. By the small suggestion, to understand courage and develop it in others, it is my hope that we can give human meaning to our collective struggle. I offer this reflection as a small token of my gratitude and sincere thankfulness for the courage displayed on that clear morning.

    One Final Thought

    While a building or a plane is not a living entity, it does however have a soul. The essence of the buildings or planes is the collective souls of all who work or visit. The World Trade Center and all its buildings, the Pentagon, and the airplanes received their “life” from the diverse group of people who occupied them. The sadness at the loss of the buildings and planes represents a loss of the people who gave them life. My parting thought to you is… the buildings, in their final moments, stood tall for as long as they could in an effort to protect as many people and to allow as many people to escape as possible. The buildings and the planes maintained their integrity, long enough, to permit others to call loved ones with final thoughts and expressions of love. What an act of courage…which was fueled by the souls that inhabited the buildings.

  14. Susan Cassidy-Lyke says:

    Ten years have passed and while it seems like it was an eternity ago I can remember the day’s events like they happened only yesterday. The horrible sight of people jumping to their death from the towers to escape the heat. Some hand in hand it was almost unbelievable. Still so difficult to understand why so many people had to perish and often wonder how all those families who lost a loved one are coping today.

    Having responded as a member of the NYPD, within minutes of my arrival at the scene I witnessed United Airlines Flt 175 strike the South tower. I remember fleeing to avoid falling debris, including airplane parts that landed within 10 feet of where I stood. A day does not pass that I do not thank God for surviving that horrific tragedy. It makes you realize how trivial most of our worries are each day.

    Each year when September 11 arrives my husband and I speak with our friends, who were working with us that day, to simply say hello and remind ourselves of how lucky we truly are. If only the good will that ensued in the days following the attacks could continue forever. It was so wonderful to see the outpouring of support from the entire country. How sad this is not always present.

    I was proud to be an American that day and am proud to be an American today. God bless all those who have lost their lives fighting to ensure our freedom.

  15. Nancy Helly says:

    On that morning before the twin towers were hit, I was commuting to mid-town from Staten Island via Express Bus through the Battery Tunnel and passing the World Trade Center, like I always did the last decade, without knowing that day would be a day that will change the way how we live for the rest of our lives. When I reached my office I was told to look at what had happened to the WTC on the Internet – the Twin Towers engulfed in smoke. I just passed those twin towers not too long ago! Those poor people in the buildings. I used to work in one of those towers. I remember thinking what if I still worked in those towers. Later that morning, Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon and Flight 93 crashed into a field in Pennsylvania killing all aboard. My former boss’s brother was one of the passengers on Flight 93. From that day on during my commute, I was very apprehensive about going over the Verrazano Bridge and going through the Battery Tunnel because seeing all the twisted metals of what remained of the towers was a vivid reminder of all the twin tower employees, fire fighters, and law enforcement personnel who had perished on 9-11 in what seemed like “the blink of an eye”.

  16. Bob Ewald says:

    I was driving to my full-time position in Riverhead while listening to the radio. The program guest was looking out of his apartment window while talking to the host. Suddenly he mentioned that he saw the first plane hit the north tower. A while later, still on the air, he saw the second strike. After reaching my office, my brother called and reminded me that our cousin had taken a new position in a firm in the south tower. Like so many others, he died that morning. I can always feel the sense of time standing still.

  17. Melissa Cortes says:

    I will never forget how quickly life changed on September 11th. That morning I took the bus across Manhattan to school like any other day, not really looking forward to anything in particular from my fourth grade lessons. The only thing I remember learning that day was how to run.

    Not long after school was in session the teachers stopped their lessons, none of the students knew why. Teachers whispered, the lights went out and children were signed out of school; still none of the students knew why. It wasn’t until I was picked up that I knew the horrors of what had happened. My step-mother told me as we made our way into a man’s car, a stranger that agreed to drive us as far away from the chaos as possible. We made it to the bridge, at which point we walked along thousands of other people headed towards Queens. The sky was dark and the mood was ominous as we walked in silence across the river to the sounds of muffled cries and sirens.

    I remember thinking how painful it felt just imagining that I had lost my mother, who worked in a hospital not far from ground zero, and how grateful I was when I finally heard her voice over the phone later that night.

    Sadly, not everyone I knew was safe. My Uncle Scott, an off duty fire-fighter at the time of the attacks, decided he couldn’t sit back and let people die. The last anyone heard from him was over his radio saying goodbye as the floor of the second tower collapsed underneath him. All we were able to bury was his right leg.

    I still can’t believe that any of this happened, that people could be so evil and that in a blink of the eye so many loved ones can be lost. It just makes me appreciate all the opportunities I have been given thanks to those who fight for our freedom.

  18. Ron Carman says:

    I was on the 65th floor of 2WTC completing a meeting with 8 lawyers from Morgan Stanley that worked for me. When the first plane hit 1WTC, papers flew by. Because of the noise, etc., Morgan’s lawyers, consistent with their training, started evacuating. I stopped at the 44th floor after walking down 21 flights of stairs and spoke with Rick Rescorla, my friend and MS’s head of security, who had his bullhorn and urged people to move down the stairs (while the loud speaker was telling people to go back to their offices). Then, as I contemplated going back upstairs, boom, plane hit 2WTC. I started walking and didn’t stop till I was at Greenwich Village, when I heard a loud noise and saw lots of dust–2WTC collapsing. Friends greeted me 5 miles away at Morgan Stanley’s offices on 49th street at my office. I promptly called my wife–there had been no effective communications for several hours and she did not know where I was. Rick R perished. Americans should never forget this day—I know I won’t.

  19. Jillian DiBlasi says:

    I remember leaving my house for school as any ordinary day around 8:00am & looking up at the extremely clear blue sky. When the first plane hit I was in math and as the second hit we just changed classes as any other ordinary Tuesday to music. By time Spanish class came, which was third period, my friend Caitlin’s mom picked her up from school early, which we all thought was for a doctor’s appointment. Students continuously left school early and by time lunch came, which was a class period away, my homeroom of 30 diminished to 12 students. When we returned from recess our principal came to each junior high class and explained “bombs” in New York City exploded and due to the severity of what was going on in Manhattan they closed school the next day. I remember going through my last three classes of the day wondering what exactly was going on. My Mom picked up my 4 brothers and me at dismissal and explained to us what happened at the World Trade Center and that our uncle was Okay, but was stuck in Manhattan. I remember leaving school that afternoon & looking up at the bare crisp blue sky wondering what was going on? What’s going to happen? How quiet the sky was without any planes. Tuesday evening I was glued to the television watching the planes hit the World Trade Center in replay & people running from the cloud of dust & debris. Friday September 14 we had a memorial mass for all the victims of the tragedy, particularly honoring the students at school who lost parents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, friends, and family. For about a month after September 11th, every time I saw a plane in the sky I thought it was going to crash into a building.

  20. Diane Capuano says:

    I remember watching from the window of my office at St. Francis Prep High School all of the emergency vehicles heading into the city on the LIE.

    I remember parents and family members frantically coming to school to pick-up their loved ones. I watched the great job faculty, staff and administration did trying to make sure all 3,000 students were safe.

    I remember sitting with a young woman for 4 hours straight until her sister came and said her father was alive.

    I remember sitting with many of our students who lost loved ones that day and not knowing what to say or do….it’s so hard to just “be” for someone during a time like this.

    I remember reuniting with an old school friend Timmy on Saturday night and then hearing he died in the towers just a few days later!!! I remember attending his wake and funeral with hundreds of other people. What a blessing to have been with him and his wife that Saturday night!

  21. Patricia Johnson says:

    I remember waking up that morning and not feeling very well. My mom said that I could stay home from school that day. We dropped my sister and brother off at school and then headed two blocks over (from the school) to my grandparents’ house, where my baby brother and I would be staying until my mom got out of work.

    As we walked into my grandparents’ house my grandpa was on the phone with my aunt who worked in the city at the time. However the phone went dead during the conversation. With that, my grandparents’ neighbor came running up to my grandparents’ door. We opened the door and she asked “Did you hear what just happened?” We looked at her puzzled. What did she mean? We just left the school and everything was just fine. “Turn to the news channel” she said. We watched as the second plane hit.

    Being only in the fifth grade, I did not fully understand what was going on. To me it was just two planes that crashed. I knew nothing of terrorism at the time. I watched as my mom and grandparents cried. My grandpa tried to get hold of my aunt again, but the line was dead. We waited all day to find out that she and my other uncle were alright.

    The next day, in the newspaper my dad found a picture of my older brother next to an ambulance. He had taken the ambulance to help the elderly cross the bridge. He is definitely a hero in my eyes. I will forever remember the day I was absent from 5th grade.

  22. Diane Fornieri says:

    Please click on the following link to see our very own Theresa Tobin in a CNN special with Soledad O’Brien. http://www.examiner.com/tv-over-20-in-national/9-11-attacks-10-years-later-cnn-to-air-beyond-bravery-the-women-of-9-11

    Airing Beyond Bravery: The Women of 9/11 will first air on Monday, September 5 at 11 p.m. ET and at 2:00 a.m. ET, Tuesday September 6 (11 p.m. Monday, Pacific time). The special will broadcast on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 Sunday, September 11 at 9 p.m. ET.

    Continue reading on Examiner.com 9/11 Attacks 10 years later: CNN to air ‘Beyond Bravery: The Women of 9/11’ – National TV Over 20 | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/tv-over-20-in-national/9-11-attacks-10-years-later-cnn-to-air-beyond-bravery-the-women-of-9-11#ixzz1XE26Pz8P

  23. Diane Fornieri says:

    You Tube video of our Terri Tobin:


  24. Diane Fornieri says:

    We thought we would share the Yahoo 9/11 profile page:


  25. Anne Hunter says:

    It was a beautiful morning, blue skies, white clouds, crisp breeze blowing. I was going to accompany my daughter to the doctor so I could hear her expected baby’s heartbeat. The heartbeat of my first grandchild!

    My husband and son had the TV on and shouted that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. An image of a smoking, flaming building appeared on screen. “An accident,” we thought. Minutes later, a second plane hit. Innocence gone—it was no accident. The hour’s unfolded and more horrific images emerged.

    I went to the doctor with my daughter and heard that wonderful heartbeat, but now my happiness was tinged with anxiety and fear for the innocent baby that would be born into a world under attack! My children came home from school, and I could see the fright on their faces. We spent the rest of the day huddled around the TV, hoping to hear reports of hospitals filled with survivors. Those reports never came.

    That night I went to Mass and saw a friend whose son was a fireman. She came to me and said “Pray for Michael. He never came home and we haven’t heard from him.” My heart sank. Michael was my sons’ childhood friend. Michael’s body was never recovered.

    As September 11th approaches, I feel terrible sadness, but at the same time, hope. Hope that we, as Americans, can keep working to make a better world for future generations where everyone can live in understanding and peace.

  26. Halley Brenkert says:

    I remember the day like it was yesterday or even an hour ago. I was 8 years old and I was in my first full week of 3rd grade. I can remember my teacher walking over to me and telling me that I’m a lucky little girl and that I get to go home. Of course no one knew why and kids were continuously leaving the classroom to go home. My mom told me that my dad wasn’t coming home today and something happened in the city. She refused to listen to the radio and she was not very happy at all! I remember going home and spending almost four days at my uncle’s house and then awaiting a phone call. I remember everyone keeping me occupied because they know I tend to worry a lot. But I was just a little kid that didn’t know what was going on at the same time. September 11th affected my family greatly. We lost 13 firemen who were practically like family. They were 13 great men who are no longer with us today, but we keep them in our thoughts and prayers always. I thank god that my father survived this tragedy. My father was a NYC firefighter in Ladder Company 3. He loved his job and was very devoted to it. September 11th affected him greatly. My father now had to retire due to injuries and sicknesses. He doesn’t let it get in the way of his life, and he always stays positive and focuses on making sure his four children and his wife are always happy and that his children succeed. Ten years later I’m now a freshman here at Molloy College, 18 years old now and remembering every day what happened on September 11th 2001. When walking back and forth to my classes I think of their faces knowing that they’re watching over me and guiding me.

  27. Valerie Griggs says:

    I was teaching that day at Valley Stream Christian Academy. When the first plane hit, the office staff instinctively knew it wasn’t an accident. We gathered the students around two radios; we all wanted to be together, comforting the few students whose parents worked downtown. I didn’t have a cell phone in 2001. I made a list of the people I had to call/find when I got home: cousins in 1 NY Plaza, the World Financial Center & the Stock Exchange; friends where I used to work in 1 Liberty Plaza; friends who live on W4th Street & 1 Irving Plaza; my cousin the rookie cop & my friend’s firemen brothers; my friend who takes the Tubes from Hoboken into the Trade Center; my sister-in-law working in Pentagon City. . . over 30 people.

    Everyone came home. It had taken some of them 2 -3 days, but everyone came home.

  28. Lori Higbie says:

    Each year, I attend a 9/11 Candlelight Memorial Service at Seaford High School. This service honors all those who lost their lives in 9/11 but more specifically five Alumni from my alma mater (two of my former classmates).

    Rob Sliwak, John Perry, Thomas Haskell, Timothy Haskell & Michael Wittenstein. It is held on the front lawn of the high school adjacent to the 9/11 Memorial that was built with love by the Seaford Community. We come together every year – rain or shine – to honor our friends, former classmates and to embrace the families who lost their brothers, fathers, uncles, sons, husbands. We join together to comfort each other and pray with each other and try to understand why these five men (and all the others) were taken away so suddenly.

    Tommy & Timmy – brothers – FDNY
    Rob & Michael – Co-workers – Cantor Fitzgerald
    John – NYPD – who was handing in his retirement papers that morning.
    All are welcome to attend a beautiful candlelight service on Sunday,
    9/11 at 7 p.m. – Seaford High School.

    The Memorial website: http://seaford911.org

  29. Stephanie Khan says:

    I will always remember September 11, as the day that I had to have courage. All I remember was being in school, and everyone around me was anxious and with a scared look on their faces, unable to explain to me what was happening. And me with a million and one questions.

    I was picked up from school, and along the ride home, my mom explained to me what happened. As she explained, we both started crying, but out of the entire conversation, all my mom kept saying is that we must be by the side of those that are hurting the most.

  30. Diane Fornieri says:

    In case you would like to visit the 9/11 memorial homepage:


  31. Judy Trinder says:

    I was at work, my kids were at school, and I remember just wanting to get to them.
    Before that day, our mornings leaving the house were always so rushed and last minute that often we would leave without saying goodbye to one another. After that day, NO ONE leaves my house without saying goodbye, no matter where they are going or how long they will be away.

  32. Catherine Brown says:

    In reading the memories of others, I am brought to tears by the tremendous loss experienced by so many on that terrible day. The horror was beyond imagination only the acts of selflessness by so many New Yorkers restored my faith in humanity.

  33. As I pulled into the Molloy Parking lot on the morning of September 11, 2001, I heard on the radio an as yet unconfirmed report that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. My husband, a mid-town Manhattan firefighter, was off that morning but I wondered if his company would be called there. I walked into the Music Department Office and told Sr. Miriam what I heard & to try to find out more, then I went to my 9:05 course. Involved in teaching the class, I was oblivious to the events unfolding in Manhattan. Suzanne Sorel & Dan McGann turned on the radio in the Music Office & listened in horror. They debated coming to get me out of class; once the second tower fell, Suzy came to the door of my classroom & shakingly asked me, “Evelyn, is Bob working today?” Confused, I said, “No, he’s home, why?” She told me what was happening. In shock, I turned back to my class and tried to finish discussing the video we had just watched. I summarized it quickly, but my thoughts were racing; I knew I had to dismiss the class, and also alert them to what was happening. Many students had family working in Manhattan. We walked out into the hallways of Wilbur Arts, consoling and supporting each other . . .

  34. Drew Bogner says:

    (Written for the 10 year anniversary and shared with the members of the Molloy College community at the September Concert on 9/12/11)

    Reflections on 9/11/01

    September 11, 2001 was a bright, blue sunny day. The day before, September 10th, we had hosted on the front lawn of Molloy, a national press conference announcing a new national initiative to fund scholarships for nursing students. Excited about the prospect of some national recognition for Molloy, I sat in my office the morning of 9/11 awaiting word of the press coverage of that event, but word never came.

    Instead, Ann popped her head in my office to tell me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Like most individuals at that time, I thought it was a small plane that had hit the building by accident. Minutes later came word of a second plane hitting the second tower. I now knew it was no accident. I went out into the hall. At that time, at each end of the main hall of Kellenberg by the mosaics, were hung small TVs from the ceiling. Students, faculty, staff, all members of the Molloy community were clustered around looking up at the TVs in silence. Here, I watched the first tower fall. Inside the boiler room of Kellenberg, I turned on the PA system that had not been used for decades, and spoke to the Molloy community. We set up a counseling room in the Reception Room. We canceled classes and assembled behind Kellenberg Hall in Cedar Grove to pray.

    In the late morning, I received a call from Mercy Medical Center. “We need your nursing faculty and nursing students to be ready to help us when we receive the wounded from the city,” I was told. “We’ll call you to let you know when we will need them.” When the call never came, I knew the extent of the tragedy had been catastrophic.

    A month later, we gathered in front of Kellenberg Hall by the flag pole to honor the fallen. It had been a time of unbridled patriotism and an outpouring of mutually held grief and solidarity. I would like to read a poem that I had written for this occasion:

    In Memory of Heroes

    There were no flags to be found
    Only patriotism in every town.
    We came to honor heroes from the war
    From the city not from foreign shore.
    In our halls stood alone the tattered prayer book
    Lined with names for each passerby to look.
    We met, we hugged, we stopped to talk
    And in this way, we began again to walk.
    We defined anew what lay in our soul
    Our families, friends, and freedom’s role.
    Take heed the 200 flags newly found
    For where they are now planted is holy ground.
    (from 10/11/01 Memorial Service)

    What I have learned since 9/11/01 is that there is a resiliency of the human spirit and it is that resiliency that we honor today in remembrance of September 11th.

  35. Alexandra Enderle says:

    9/11/2001- I was in the 8th grade at St. Raymond’s in East Rockaway. We attended mass that morning around 10 A.M., and at that point, all of the students were clueless as to what was happening. All the faculty knew, yet would not tell the kids as not to alarm them, but we were told “something bad has happened. Something very bad.”
    My mom, one of the lunch mothers, was the one who informed my classmates and I what had happened, and as more and more children found out (parents began to come get their kids), kids slowly began to leave school early.

    My dad has worked in the city my entire life, and he was all I could think about. That day, my dad had a scheduled meeting on the 81st floor of the North Tower, and would have been in the elevator going up when the plane struck. His meeting was cancelled, and he was home early that day, thanks be to God. I’ll never stop being grateful to have my dad with me today. One of my classmates, Kelly, was not so lucky, and lost her father that day, James Haran.

    I was 13 years old when 9/11 occurred. I couldn’t even begin to fathom how and why this could happen in what I thought at that age was a perfect world. The pride that this country has is such a beautiful thing, and it is so amazing to watch us all as Americans come together year after year on this day. I am so proud to be an American.

    God bless the Haran family, all who lost their lives, and everyone who lost their loved ones on that day, and God bless the Molloy community.

  36. Drew Bogner says:

    When I was in Ireland, a place of deep verdant green and ancient history, I went on an exhaustive search for Neolithic ruins, stone circles, passage tombs, portal tombs.

    Usually, these Neolithic tombs were positioned on the pinacle of a hill or ridge, situated to be seen and noticed.

    We are blessed with 5 senses and as striking as this visual stimulation was, the most powerful interaction happened when I laid my hand upon the tomb.

    Reaching back 4,000 years I could sense the mystical importance of the place. I envisioned all the hands placed on this same surface over time, the lives lived and the hopes offered up.

    Placing my hand on the steel I can feel the lives lived and the hopes offered up.

    Transmitted through this metal is the horror, the triumph, the pain and the healing.

    The straightness of reality has been bent, twisted, rusted and now revered.

    This is our memorial to heroes fallen and the necessary but painful rebirth that follows.

    As the inscription on the memorial from St. Catherine of Siena states, “out of darkness is born the light.”

    And so it is with each of us.

Comments are closed.